Tuesday 10 February 2015

08/02/15 Iron Forest Club Day: Armageddon Begins

Another sunday... another day of gaming at Iron Forest Games :)

After over sleeping from the night shift, I groggily got to IFG later than usual, thankfully Jonno was already prepared to come to my rescue via Rockstar blueberry goodness. Once the elixir had done its magic it was onto gaming. John and Jason had already opened the club three hours earlier so everything was well under way before I got in.


Dan, Leigh and Jay were already well into a game of bolt action on our new (in progress) WW2 layout. The game was pacific themed (even if the terrain says otherwise lol) with Dan's US Rangers vs Leigh and Jay's Japanese.





The game looked a blast and I was told they were implementing a lot of on the fly house rules to heighten the more potential cinematic moments of the game - once I get more details of these will feature them in a rules tinkering post. Also Jason was taking some pics and doing some brilliant Photoshop effects to really bring them to life. Will be posting these pics later in the week so stay tuned ;)

Also at the same time Faction Ray was running the next instalment of his Mecha RPG campaign. Regrettably I did not track the sessions progress but I heard something of Jonno's character trying to woo a princess and ended up with a beating...


Meanwhile I had begun my first game of the clubs 40k Third War of Armageddon Campaign. It was my Ork force led by Big Mek Orkimedes vs Tony's Sir Tomund Eyre leading an Adeptus Mechanicus force. We was playing a standard maelstrom of war game - except on a 4x4 board with objectives 5,6 removed. The fluff of the game is a Ork incursion into the lower levels of Hive Hades looking for steal-able Imperial tech with Sir Tomund ready and waiting for them.


My plan was to use the Looted Wagon to hopefully whittle down a hull point or two while Orkimedes and his retinue charged in to finish the hulk off. If that didnt work than after the Killa Kans, Cybork Slasha's (custom unit of my creation for the campaign - will post rules at a later date) and Dakajet after dealing with the Thallax, Vorax and Thralls would than move in on the Knight. With at the whole time my Boyz staying back grabbing cheaky objectives. As ever that was the plan....


I took first turn and did...nothing. Not intentionally mind you,  just managing to either fail every dice to wound or it being successfully saved. On the other hand Tony's Knight just gave my looted wagon a dirty look and it blew up. At the same time the rest of his force pushed forward, holding the two objective markers.


My next turn began as badly, with failure of bringing in my Dakajet (I know, flyer in hive, but hey - he is a damn good pilot ;) ) but the shooting went better, managed to knock a few wounds off the vorax and thallax with concentrated Big Shoota fire. But Tony returned fire and killed Orkimedes...


Meanwhile knowing my right flank was in peril, I moved the retinue of the now deceased Orkimedes to intercept the advance of Sir Tomund.


My fortune faired better when my Cybork Slasha's assaulted the vorax, killing one in the process.


Tony as ever matched the pain output....


His Thallax jetpacked up onto a building and blazed away down upon the Killa Kans, knocking hull points of two of them.


Meanwhile the warlord-less retinue met there fate under the foot of Sir Tomund.


Turn 3 and finally got my Dakajet! Calling a Waaagh I unleashed hot metal Orky lead into the Thralls and managed to only kill one... bloody feel no pain...


But the Killa Kans did better, charging and felling the remaining Vorax.


But Sir Tomund was into my deployment zone and shot the Trukk to pieces. My Boyz charged out of the building they where holding with their Nob managing to knock off 3 hull points in the process but couldnt survive the backlash and was reduced to green paste.

With just my Kans left (the Dakajet soared off for another pass) they tried to make a last stand but were wrecked under the combined assault of the thallax and thralls. A Ace game ending with a 10-2 score to Tony, ouch!.

Lastly and during our game Leigh was running a demo skirmish game of Bolt Action for Ray, Phil, Alex and Ian. I did not follow the game, but I know it ended a victory for Ian who burrowed Leigh's Japanese force.


After that volley of gaming, the day ended with myself, Alex, Jason, Dan, Tony and Leigh having another game of Bolt Action, US Army vs German Heer. Regrettably no photos but played out something straight out of Brothers in Arms. The Germans tried to blitzkrieg into a hail of US fire, got pinned and then met a deadly crossfire as the yanks flanked their positions.

All in all it was great day at Iron Forest - hitting record numbers for turn out too! Its great to see the club gain in popularity :)

Thanks for your time - cya soon ;)


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete